Italian Sausage Chili
I could barely boil water when I got out of the Navy, but I'm quite comfortable in the kitchen now. This recipe in one I created.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links link (1/4 pound), casing removed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, saute the celery, onion and sweet peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Crumble the sausage into a skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, water, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 549 calories, 29g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1542mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 13g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Chili in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.