- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Hot Italian sausage
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add kale, beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, seasonings and stock to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Top each serving with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forItalian Sausage & Kale Soup
"Very tasty and hearty soup. To cut down on the spicy zip of hot sausage, I use sweet Italian sausage. And I increased the spices a little: 3 Tbsp minced garlic, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. I also added about 1 Cup water to the chicken broth and crushed tomato base. The soup was perfect to serve to my father during his chemotherapy. They asked for the recipe! Thick with vegetables, and a yummy broth."
"I made a double batch due to the number of people at our table for dinner. I enjoyed this soup. I can't say it was a hit with the family. Some of the kids weren't overly excited with the kale in it. We ended up freezing a third of it. I'm still giving it a higher rating because it is good recipe. Just noting it wasn't a favorite for the kids so when I make it again, I don't double the recipe. :)"
"Made this tonight in our pressure cooker and we loved it!! I added a can of sliced tomatoes, drained. Only because we love tomatoes. I also used cannellini beans since we had them on hand. Will definitely make this again!"
"I've made this several times and it is delicious. It also freezes well."
"MY DH made a double batch of this soup. It's a colorful, flavorful and hearty one that we had with slices of smoked Gouda and crackers. Some is in the freezer, but we're looking to enjoy more for lunch in the next few days. Its a perfect winter warmup."
"I must say I was a bit skeptical because it seemed so simple and didn't have a lot of seasonings... It turned out way beyond what I expected--delicious. I followed recipe ingredients exactly but had to start with crockpot on high for the first few hours and then switched to low for another couple hours. This worked great. Lots of flavor and we used Italian blend cheese!"
"Flavorful, easy, and delicious! I really liked how filling it was with the beans and the sausage, and it was also nice to have the added nutrition from the kale."
"Great soup!! I didn't want to run to the store to get kale so used fresh spinach which I had on hand. It was really good, but I think next time I'll make an effort to use kale and see how the two versions differ."