Italian Sandwich Loaf
"Served with a green salad, slices of this pizza-flavored sandwich make a terrific lunch or dinner," informs Eleanor Dunbar from Peoria, Illinois. The crispy bread is loaded with a hearty filling of Canadian bacon, pepperoni, cheese and more.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 loaves (8 ounces each) unsliced Italian bread
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package (6 ounces) Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Cut 1/2 in. from the top of each loaf of bread; set aside. Hollow out bottom portion, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush insides of shells and crust with 4 tablespoons oil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until toasted.
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, bacon, pepperoni, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cheeses. Spoon into bread shells; replace tops and brush with remaining oil. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.