Italian Salad Croutons
"These crisp buttery croutons are so good," comments Ellen Benninger of Greenville, Pennsylvania. "I don't know where I got the recipe, but I've been using it for more than 10 years." Toss the croutons in a salad, garnish a bowl of soup with them or sprinkle them on top of a creamy casserole.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 2 cups
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 bread slices, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 46 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Italian Salad Croutons in Quick Cooking September/October 2003