Italian Roast with Alfredo Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours 20 min.
Makes4 servings plus leftovers
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup refrigerated Alfredo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the gravy mix, dressing mix and water; pour over roast. Top with peppers and onion. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, remove roast and cut a portion of the meat into cubes, measuring 3 cups; cover and save for another use. Slice the remaining beef and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices if necessary; pour into a large saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; mash with Alfredo sauce, butter and pepper. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with sliced beef and gravy.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with mashed potatoes and gravy : 707 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 1492mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Jan 12, 2012
This has became one of my family's favorite. In fact, we are having it for dinner today!
Jan 8, 2012
I loved this roast. Made as directed, except I didn't have the red peppers, and added garlic and pepper. Also, browned the meat on all sides before putting in slow cooker. I thickened the gravy with flour and water, because I don't like the consistency of things thickened with cornstarch. Didn't make the potatoes, but this is will be my new recipe for roast!
Nov 9, 2009
Great Sunday dinner. The meat was moist and tender; the gravy needed extra seasoning; I thought the potatoes would be really strong of the alfredo but the taste was very subtle. I separated the veggies from the liquid in the gravy, and degreased the liquid before adding the cornstarch. I added the drained veggies to a package of cooked sweet corn and it was great.
Oct 12, 2009
The meat was really tender but the gravy was a little much. Fairly good on a sandwich.
Jun 25, 2009
Easy and delicious. Once I didn't have Italian salad dressing mix or brown gravy mix on hand so I used country gravy and ranch dressing mix--it turned out great!
Apr 7, 2009
We are not much on eating roasts. Love the flavor of the potatoes though.