Italian Rice Casserole
An exchange student who stayed with us made this rice casserole for us. It's good served with crusty rolls. Now I like to make this, especially when we're having company over who knew our "other daughter".
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Cut into 1/2-inch slices. Return to pan; add onion and rice. Cook until rice is lightly browned. Stir in the red pepper, carrots, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add the peas, mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Remove half the mixture to a serving bowl. Top with half of the olives, eggs and cheese. Repeat layers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 300 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 934mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Italian Rice Casserole in Country Extra May 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.