An exchange student who stayed with us made this rice casserole for us. It's good served with crusty rolls. Now I like to make this, especially when we're having company over who knew our "other daughter".
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Cut into 1/2-inch slices. Return to pan; add onion and rice. Cook until rice is lightly browned. Stir in the red pepper, carrots, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add the peas, mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Remove half the mixture to a serving bowl. Top with half of the olives, eggs and cheese. Repeat layers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Rice Casserole in Country Extra May 1991, p49