Italian Rice Balls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar or Asiago cheese
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Marinara sauce or Alfredo sauce, optional
- Cook rice according to package directions. While still warm, place in a bowl. Stir in the egg, cheese, 1 cup bread crumbs and parsley; mix well. Shape into tennis-size balls. Roll into remaining bread crumbs until well coated. In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil at 375°. Fry rice balls until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. To serve, slice rice balls in half and top with warmed marinara or Alfredo sauce if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 22, 2010
I wanted something that would be a good stand alone appetizer but they just seemed to be missing something. Some spice or something. If you do decide to give them a try, you'll definately have to serve them with a sauce.