Italian Ribs and Rice
With meat, vegetables and rice, here's a dish that can be a whole meal by itself. It'll satisfy the hunger of anyone at your table.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-1/4 hours, turning occasionally. Remove ribs and set aside; drain.
- In the same pan, bring tomatoes and water to a boil. Stir in the rice, green pepper, garlic, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and Italian seasoning. Place ribs over rice; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until rice and meat are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 393 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Italian Ribs and Rice in Country Extra March 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.