Italian Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes. In the same skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon over potatoes to within 1 in. of edge of dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 308 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 9, 2015
I can't believe I have not rated this recipe. I have been making it for years and it still one of the best recipes when you have company. I have never had to change a thing with this recipe. It comes out perfect every time.
Feb 9, 2012
I made several changes to this recipe. Meat & Potatoes the same; used 1 medium onion, diced;1 green pepper, diced; garlic, fresh mushrooms,sliced ripe olives & fresh tomatoes, the same. Only next time, I will place each fresh tomato in boiling water for a short time & peel the skin off & dice the tomato, so the skin will not come off the tomato & float in the sauce, as mine did. For the seasoning, I used 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. dried basil, 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Those were the only other changes that I made. This did not make a lot & I may double the recipe next time, but it was delicious & very Italian tasting & a nice presentation. Thanks for the recipe!
May 6, 2011
This was so good!! But I added some Italian Seasoning to mine and some more salt. :) I loved this recipe!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.