Italian Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes. In the same skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon over potatoes to within 1 in. of edge of dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 308 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 9, 2015
I can't believe I have not rated this recipe. I have been making it for years and it still one of the best recipes when you have company. I have never had to change a thing with this recipe. It comes out perfect every time.
Feb 9, 2012
I made several changes to this recipe. Meat & Potatoes the same; used 1 medium onion, diced;1 green pepper, diced; garlic, fresh mushrooms,sliced ripe olives & fresh tomatoes, the same. Only next time, I will place each fresh tomato in boiling water for a short time & peel the skin off & dice the tomato, so the skin will not come off the tomato & float in the sauce, as mine did. For the seasoning, I used 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. dried basil, 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Those were the only other changes that I made. This did not make a lot & I may double the recipe next time, but it was delicious & very Italian tasting & a nice presentation. Thanks for the recipe!
May 6, 2011
This was so good!! But I added some Italian Seasoning to mine and some more salt. :) I loved this recipe!!