- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onion, wine, salt, basil, oregano, garlic and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 5-1/2 hours.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forItalian Pot Roast
"I will make this dish again and again. I really enjoyed the flavors."
"Wasn't as good as I had hoped. I would def add more garlic and spices"
"It was ok"
"Not as expected. Disapointing bland flavor."
"This was great!! A keeper in our family!"
"very good flavor....too many tomatoes, maybe just use a 15 oz. can....good subtle flavor from oregano and basil...i minced 4 garlic cloves and used 1 beef bouillion cube for the broth...reduced the salt to 1 tsp....served with mashed potatoes...very tasty."
"This was done for me after 3.5 hours (my cooker runs hot, even on "low"). Very good. The gravy was really good on the meat and my mashed potatoes! Next time, I'll add quartered mushrooms to the tomato mixture or gravy b/c we're big on 'shrooms. But sure, I'd make this again...and I don't even like pot roast! I couldn't find the wine, so I used beef broth, and that was no problem. While this was cooking, the house smelled yummy."
"just made this roast today,my husband loved it.very good!"
"We didn't really think this recipe had enough flavor to eat by itself. However, the meat did cook up nice and tender so I just use this recipe when I need shredded beef for another dish. Works great!"
"One more comment. There was a lot of gravy leftover. I think it would be delicious served over egg noodles."