Italian Pinwheel Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 16 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- Additional spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Layer with six cheese slices, ham and six more cheese slices.
- Roll up jelly roll-style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Top with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional spaghetti sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 428 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2011
I also cut the recipe in half but added about 1/2 c. minced onions instead of onion powder. The onions exude some water, keeping the meat loaf moister.
Aug 16, 2008
This is fabulous with the spaghetti sauce. I halved the recipe to make a smaller loaf.