- 1-1/4 cups (12 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups pine nuts
- In a small bowl, beat almond paste and sugar until crumbly. Beat in 2 egg whites. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; mix well.
- Whisk remaining egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place pine nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in egg whites and coat with pine nuts. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forItalian Pignoli Cookies
"Second time to use this recipe to make Pignoli cookies. It is missing something not quite sure exactly what it is yet. It is the closest to traditional Pignoli cookies I have found because you will NEVER get the true recipe out of your Italian mother-in-law! Alas, I keep trying!"
"Huge hit! Everyone loved them. Tasted perfect just like the bakery. Very satisfied"
"Very tasty cookies! I did add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour because it was extremely sticky. You won't need more than one or two egg whites for dipping the cookies and probably 2 cups of pine nuts would work better."