- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups (7 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add pasta. Return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, basil, onions and spinach. Drain pasta; add to tomato mixture. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
- Just before serving, stir in cheese and pine nuts. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forItalian Orzo Salad
"I used pepper jack instead of the feta and sliced almonds instead of the pine nuts. Delicious! Make sure you stir the orzo often while boiling or it will stick to the pan and it needs all the liquid."
"easy to make, tastes delicious. This has become the dish that people request I bring to pot lucks. I really like that the dressing is one that can safely be out on a buffet table. Addendum to previous review: I have made this as a quinoa salad when I have gluten intolerant guests. Now I have gluten free people asking me for the recipe."
"I made this recipe for my son's birthday party last year and had so many requests for it, I included it in the thank you notes!It is really tasty!"
"Terrific! I love the combination of fresh spinach and basil. The dressing is really tasty too. I can only find feta cheese in 4-oz packages, so I made up the difference with cubed mozzarella cheese...yummy!"
"This is super delicious and a hit even with my 3 teens who are a bit more selective! Super as a light summer supper with some fresh fruit and a loaf of crusty bread."
"This recipe was not only simple to make, it tastes light and refreshing!"
"Not only was this recipe insanely easy to make, it was delicious! I love how versitile it is as well, I added the seasonal vegetables I had on-hand to make it cheaper and fresher and unique to my family's tastes. Overall a great recipe!"