Italian Mini Loaves
Guests will reach for seconds once they sample a slice from one of these fragrant little loaves. "You can also make breadsticks with this dough," suggests Debra Hartze of Zeeland, North Dakota.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (4 slices each)
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, yeast, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and parsley. In a saucepan, heat milk, water and 1 tablespoon butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough; beat until smooth.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.