These hearty sandwiches are terrific for weekends and watching football. Kim Marie Van Rheenen of Mendota, Illinois simmers the meatballs in a tangy barbecue sauce rather than the traditional Italian red sauce.
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 submarine buns (about 6 inches)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun; scoop out bread from inside. Cover buns and tops with plastic wrap; set aside. Crumble 1/3 cup of the removed bread and place in a bowl. Add the beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper; mix well. Shape into eight meatballs, about 1-1/2 in. each.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook meatballs for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. In the same skillet, saute green pepper and sliced onion in oil until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and mustard. Add meatballs, green pepper and onion; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, warm buns at 325° for 8-10 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce into buns; replace tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Sub Sandwiches in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p64