Italian Meatball Calzones Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Additional pizza sauce, optional
- 1. Heat meatballs according to package directions. In a large saucepan, heat pizza sauce; stir in meatballs. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses and basil. In another bowl, whisk the egg white and water; set aside.
- 2. Unroll one pastry onto a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spoon half of meatball mixture onto half of the pastry to within 1/2 in. of the edges. Top with half of cheese mixture. Fold dough over the filling, forming a half circle. Moisten edges with water; press with a fork to seal. Brush top with egg mixture. Repeat with remaining pastry, meatball mixture and egg mixture.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each calzone into three wedges. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 559 calories, 32g fat (14g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Italian Meatball Calzones
"I didn't really care for this too much. One problem was that the heated sauce and meatballs seemed to melt the pastry dough while I was still assembling them. So before they even went into the oven there were already large holes on the crease. The flavor was okay, but I think I would have preferred pizza dough rather than pie crust."
"GREAT Recipe! Instead of adding fresh basil to the cheeses I used a tablespoon of dried italian seasoning....delicioso!"
"This was just okay, not one I will make again. I loved the ease of using the pastry dough though to make the calzones and I may try that idea again with regular pizza ingredients inside."