- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Additional pizza sauce, optional
- Heat meatballs according to package directions. In a large saucepan, heat pizza sauce; stir in meatballs. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses and basil. In another bowl, whisk the egg white and water; set aside.
- Unroll one pastry onto a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spoon half of meatball mixture onto half of the pastry to within 1/2 in. of the edges. Top with half of cheese mixture. Fold dough over the filling, forming a half circle. Moisten edges with water; press with a fork to seal. Brush top with egg mixture. Repeat with remaining pastry, meatball mixture and egg mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each calzone into three wedges. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forItalian Meatball Calzones
"We really enjoyed these, but I would use only 1 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, if I make them again, as they were too runny inside and not like a traditional calzone. I would serve the other 1 cup on the side."
"I didn't really care for this too much. One problem was that the heated sauce and meatballs seemed to melt the pastry dough while I was still assembling them. So before they even went into the oven there were already large holes on the crease. The flavor was okay, but I think I would have preferred pizza dough rather than pie crust."
"GREAT Recipe! Instead of adding fresh basil to the cheeses I used a tablespoon of dried italian seasoning....delicioso!"
"This was just okay, not one I will make again. I loved the ease of using the pastry dough though to make the calzones and I may try that idea again with regular pizza ingredients inside."