Italian Meat Sauce with Meatballs
This chunky, meaty sauce has a bit of heat from the sausage and red pepper. It's delicious served over pasta.—Jane McMillan, Dania Beach
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 12 frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs (1/2 ounce each), thawed and halved
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the meatballs, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese blend, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without pasta): 326 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1287mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Momma Mia That's a Spicy Pizza Dip in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.