Italian Lemon Frozen Dessert
Lemon fans will favor the flavor of this refreshing dessert. I sometimes top individual servings with fresh berries.—Sally Sibthorpe, Shelby Township, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min. + freezing
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup amaretti cookie crumbs
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and ricotta cheese; slowly add 1/2 cup butter. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Transfer to a large saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. In a small bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cooled lemon mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Combine cookie crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over lemon mixture. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Using plastic wrap, lift dessert out of pan. Invert onto a serving platter; discard plastic wrap. Cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 567 calories, 40g fat (23g saturated fat), 247mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Ricotta Semifeddo in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.