Italian Leg of Lamb with Lemon Sauce
I wasn't a big fan of lamb until I tried this wonderful recipe. The sauce has bold lemon flavor, which pairs perfectly with the seasoned roast.—Pauline Morelli, Riverside, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons chopped anchovy fillets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One 2-gallon resealable plastic bag
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Pour 2/3 cup marinade into the 2-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add the lamb; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Drain and discard marinade. Place leg of lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove meat to a serving platter and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat; add reserved marinade and enough water to measure 1-3/4 cups.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with lamb.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 319 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Leg of Lamb Italian in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.