Italian Leg of Lamb with Lemon Sauce
I wasn't a big fan of lamb until I tried this wonderful recipe. The sauce has bold lemon flavor, which pairs perfectly with the seasoned roast.—Pauline Morelli, Riverside, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons chopped anchovy fillets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One 2-gallon resealable plastic bag
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Pour 2/3 cup marinade into the 2-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add the lamb; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Drain and discard marinade. Place leg of lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove meat to a serving platter and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat; add reserved marinade and enough water to measure 1-3/4 cups.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with lamb.