Italian Hunters Stew
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces mostaccioli or penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Toss meat with flour; brown on all sides in oil in 5-qt. Dutch oven. Add garlic and onions; saute until tender. Stir in the broth, seasoned salt, chili powder, oregano and rosemary.
- 2. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and carrots are tender. Stir in macaroni; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
1-1/2 cups: 318 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Oct 8, 2012
I left out one of the tablespoons of seasoned salt and cooked it in my slow cooker on low for 8 hours and it still turned out very rich and flavorful. A welcome change from the usual stew with potatoes.