- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forItalian Hot Dish
"I've been making this recipe for many years. I got it from Taste of Home magazine years ago. It's still a favorite in our home. Everyone loves it!"
"Very easy to make, but I think I will add some sun-dried tomatoes to my next batch to increase the flavor a bit."
"I love this dish idea. I change almost every recipe so I do Italian seasoned ground turkey (that way you actually don't need to add spices and it's got lots of flavor) I add minced garlic when browning the turkey and veggies. I also use a whole bag of mozzarella cheese on top and I only bake for like 25 minutes and then take the lid off for 10 more minutes. I also over cook so all the ingredients are doubled in my bake. But everyone in my house loves this dish!!!"
"kids liked it more than I did. a bit bland"
"Absolutely fabulous!! I changed the hamburger to half sausage and half turkey and instead of using tomato sauce used spaghetti sauce and it was magnificoo!"
"this! is a comfort food."
"Add a can of diced tomatoes next time."
"Greasy so remember to drain ground beef before adding things."
"Great recipe especially the sauce. Planning to make some of the sauce up to freeze. Thanks for sharing."
"When my husband eats the leftovers, you know it was good."