Italian Holiday Bread
A subtle anise flavor highlights this traditional bread dotted with chunks of citron. "Before bread machines, I made a similar recipe by hand," says Betty Alexander of Kelowna, British Columbia.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1 pound)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 95 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Italian Holiday Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.