Italian Hero Braid
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/3 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble Italian sausage until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour and butter; add yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 13x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Layer cheese and salami slices down center of rectangle; top with crumbled sausage and shredded cheddar. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch both ends to seal.
- Whisk egg white; brush over pastry. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 436 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
The filling flavors are great and the braided loaf is beautiful and impressive-looking. I took aug2295's advice and added 1.5 t of salt to the dough and then let it rise for an hour between steps 2 and 3. Yum!
Jun 12, 2017
The filling for this was delicious. The dough mixture could have used some seasoning- it would have benefited from some salt and a little time to rise to give it a lighter texture. Overall it was great though.
May 23, 2017
So so on this one this time round. The dough is very soft and might be better to roll out on the parchement. Lost the tastes of the cheese and the salami, they just disappeared.Very pretty to look at and fairly quick to assemble
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.