My family has requested this meatless recipe over and over again. It is simple to prepare and even meat lovers like it. —Geri Lucas, Oldsmar, Florida
Featured In: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 packets instant plain oatmeal (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- Marinara sauce, warmed, optional
- Cook lentils according to package directions; drain and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and seasonings; stir in cooked lentils and oatmeal. Shape into ten 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook patties in batches 4-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and a thermometer reads 160°, adding additional oil as needed. Top with cheese; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, serve with marinara sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Herb-Lentil Patties with Mozzarella in Light Recipes 2015, p37