Italian Grilled Chicken Salad
Simple yet elegant, this entree salad is one of my husband's favorites. We love the juicy chicken, fresh greens and bread that's toasted over an open flame. Add whatever beans your gang prefers. -Lisa Rawski of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 ounces Italian bread, sliced
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first six ingredients; shake well. Remove 1 tablespoon vinegar mixture; brush over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting grill. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Brush bread slices with 1 tablespoon reserved vinegar mixture. Grill bread, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Slice chicken and cut bread into cubes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, beans, basil and bread cubes. Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Arrange on salad plates. Top with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 379 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Italian Grilled Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.