Italian Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cut a 3-in. pocket in each slice of bread; place a slice of cheese in each pocket. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Soak bread for 2 minutes on each side. Coat with bread crumbs.
- Cook on a hot greased griddle until golden brown on both side and cooked through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 310 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2014
This grilled cheese was a great variation to the average sandwich. It was obviously more work than the everyday grilled cheese but worth making. It was flavorful, gooey and still paired very well with tomato soup. The crust on the outside was crisp as well.
Jan 21, 2014
My children LOVED this recipe and requested that I only make these grilled cheese from now on. My eldest said it tasted like a mozzarella cheese stick sandwich.
May 1, 2011
Made with artisan asiago bread, more bagette style. LOVED it! With this thick of bread, the cheese didn't melt - only got warm. However, everyone said it was perfect that way. Also due to the thickness of the bread, used about 3 layers of cheese, mixing the mozzarella and provolone. Between the cheeses in the middle, the asiago cheese on the outside and the Italian seasonings - wow!
Feb 22, 2011
Made it with Aunt Millie's sandwich buns, did not cut a slit. Yum!
Dec 21, 2009
These are so good and go perfect with the soup
Nov 18, 2009
Bread was a soggy mess and cheese would not stay inside bread. Won't be making this again.