- 4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cut a 3-in. pocket in each slice of bread; place a slice of cheese in each pocket. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Soak bread for 2 minutes on each side. Coat with bread crumbs.
- Cook on a hot greased griddle until golden brown on both side and cooked through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forItalian Grilled Cheese
"My children LOVED this recipe and requested that I only make these grilled cheese from now on. My eldest said it tasted like a mozzarella cheese stick sandwich."
"Made with artisan asiago bread, more bagette style. LOVED it! With this thick of bread, the cheese didn't melt - only got warm. However, everyone said it was perfect that way. Also due to the thickness of the bread, used about 3 layers of cheese, mixing the mozzarella and provolone. Between the cheeses in the middle, the asiago cheese on the outside and the Italian seasonings - wow!"
"Made it with Aunt Millie's sandwich buns, did not cut a slit. Yum!"
"These are so good and go perfect with the soup"