"EVERY Italian meal must have its garlic bread, and this recipe is not only delicious but also attractive. It's rich which cheese and butter and colorful with paprika. Auntie Ann always waited until we were all seated before bringing out her garlic bread, warm from the oven."
Recommended: 36 Ways to Love Toast
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unsliced loaf (1-1/2 pounds) French bread
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Slice bread lengthwise; place with cut slide up on a large baking sheet. in a small bowl, combine butter, cheese, garlic and oregano; brush onto cut surfaces of bread. Sprinkle with paprika. Broil about 4 in. from heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cut widthwise into 3-in. pieces to serve. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Garlic Toast in Reminisce Extra October 1993, p47