Italian Garden Sauce
Although we plant a medium-size garden each year, we grow lots of tomatoes. This sauce is especially good because it's so chunky...and goes well with all kinds of pasta.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min.
Makesabout 9 cups
- 1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 8 cups diced peeled fresh tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooked pasta
- In a large Dutch oven, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 110 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 29, 2009
This is the best sauce I have ever had! I added diced zucchini & mushrooms, it was easy to make, chunky from the veggies,and the flavor is great! I will never buy store pasta sauce again,I will make this and freeze what's left for later.