Italian Garden Sauce
Although we plant a medium-size garden each year, we grow lots of tomatoes. This sauce is especially good because it's so chunky...and goes well with all kinds of pasta.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min.
Makesabout 9 cups
- 1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 8 cups diced peeled fresh tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooked pasta
- In a large Dutch oven, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 110 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Italian Garden Sauce in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Sep 29, 2009
This is the best sauce I have ever had! I added diced zucchini & mushrooms, it was easy to make, chunky from the veggies,and the flavor is great! I will never buy store pasta sauce again,I will make this and freeze what's left for later.