Italian Garden Omelet
I created this veggie-filled omelet to treat my wife to a meal using some of the fresh herbs from our garden. She loved it. The herbs give the dish a refreshing zing. It’s also good with asparagus when it’s in season. —Billy Hensley, Mount Carmel, TN
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and seasonings; cook and stir until tender. Remove from pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream and seasonings until blended. In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the egg mixture (about 1 cup) to skillet. Mixture should set immediately at edges. As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- When eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains, spoon half of the vegetables on 1 side; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Fold omelet in half; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cut omelet in half and slide each half onto a plate. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1/2 omelet: 372 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 468mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.