Italian Garden Casserole
This casserole includes a medley of eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-in. thick slices, then cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a nonstick skillet, saute eggplant in oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, garlic and zucchini; cook 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, seasoning blend and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Romano cheese. Pour into greased 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Garden Casserole Vegetable in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.