Italian Egg Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 4 slices sandwich bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), finely chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, basil, tomatoes, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with chives. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nov 24, 2019
Good recipe. However to make it more "Italian" I used italian sausage rather than bacon. Also added yellow pepper, onions, and mushrooms while I was cooking the sausage and added all of it when you were to add the bacon as indicated in the directions.