We used to raise our own chickens, so I always had plenty of eggs on hand for weekly brunch or supper dishes. This recipe is a combination of some of my favorite flavors and one my husband really enjoys. I freeze a pint jar or two of sliced chives from my garden during the summer months so we can enjoy them in recipes like this all year long. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Recommended: Our 50 Best Egg Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 slices sandwich bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), finely chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, basil, tomatoes, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with chives. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Egg Bake in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p28