Italian Dinner Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes7 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 7 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Add peppers, onion, celery and carrot to pan; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, water, tomatoes, broth, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni; cook 20 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 203 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Jan 3, 2015
An easy, tasty soup to make. I had ground chicken in the fridge, so decided to make this soup with it, instead of chicken breasts. Still was tasty and would be a bit more affordable for those on a tight budget. Try it on a cold winter's night and you won't be disappointed.
May 2, 2012
We make this soup often. It is so yummy - and has become one of our favorite soups!
Jan 4, 2011
Tasted delicious!! A perfect soup for a cold winter day!!