- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender. Add the next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in fennel fronds. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forItalian Chicken Soup
"I will double this the next time I make it!"
"This is a wonderful, easy, great-tasting soup. The broth has a very rich, soothing flavor, and I love the fennel. I've never cooked with it before, but it's perfect with the other ingredients, especially in an Italian soup. Instead of orzo, which I didn't have, I used mini-ziti. The only problem with this recipe is that it only makes 4 servings. I'll have to hide the leftovers from my husband."