Italian Chicken Skillet Supper Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1. Flatten chicken slightly; sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in butter and oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and pine nuts until vegetables are tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture: 248 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Skillet Supper
"It was good. I skipped the pine nuts."
"We have small appetites so I was able to get 3 servings out of one 8 ounce chicken breast and made a few small changes. I used non stick cooking spray..olive oil favor..to cook the chicken and I didn't have any pine nuts in the house so omitted those. Otherwise I followed the recipe and served on noodles...flavor was very good and will definitely make again."
"Not a lot of flavor."
"Excellent!!! We pretty much followed the recipe, except mixed the flour, broth, and mustard before adding, and we also added capers. Served it over angel hair pasta. Will probably toast the pine nuts next time (and there will definitely be a next time!)."
"easy and tasty - a new favorite"
"Delish!!!! I doubled the recipe to serve four and the family pronounced it like something you get at a restaurant. Didn't have pine nuts."
"I didn't use pine nuts, and I used more cheese and butter than recommended, but this dish was an absolute winner! Delicious!"
"The basics of this recipe are great. I did modify it slightly and here is what I did.2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved and pounded slightly just to even out. Sprinkle skin side with garlic salt and freshly ground pepper. In a skillet large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer, melt 1 Tablespoon butter with 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil until it bubbles. Cook chicken skin side down until well browned - about 4 minutes, turn and cook other side about 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered1 medium onion sliced in thin wedges2 cloves garlic, minced1/2 small red pepper, in long thin slices2 cups tender spinach leaves1 Tablespoon flour1/2 cup chicken broth or chardonnay wine1 Tablespoon Country Dijon MustardIn the same skillet saute the mushrooms, onions, garlic and red pepper until crisp-tender. Add spinach and cook and stir until just wilted. Combine flour chicken broth or wine and mustard and stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to the skillet and heat through. Serve with oven roasted potatoes and enjoy!"
"This recipie was very delicious! I WILL be cooking this again for sure! :-)"