"My sister-in-law prepared these hearty sandwiches that are filled with chicken, mushrooms and pepperoni," writes Tricia Buss of Telford, Pennsylvania. "My husband loved them so much, he insisted I ask for the recipe."
Recommended: 30 Chicken Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add the green pepper and mushrooms; cook until tender. Stir in pepperoni; heat through. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce; heat through. Spoon into pita bread halves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Chicken Pockets in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p44