Italian Chicken and Rice
"I combined the best of three favorite recipes to come up with this tender and tasty chicken-rice combination," writes Cathee Bethel of Lebannon, Oregon. "It's my family's favorite way to eat chicken."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Place 1/3 cup milk in another bowl. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with the cheese mixture.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, combine the water, rice, salt if desired and remaining milk. Top with chicken. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and a thermometer reads 170°:.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Italian Chicken and Rice in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.