Italian Cheese Twists Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Combine butter and seasonings; spread over dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips, 1/2 in. each. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- 2. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over the twists. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 each: 173 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Italian Cheese Twists
"The cheese melted and dripped off the cookie sheet I had them on. Next if I make them I would put them on a jelly roll pan. Made a mess and set off alarms in house."
"My family loves these twists! We make them often."