- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 21 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Stuff into shells. Spread 1 cup vegetable sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forItalian Cheese-Stuffed Shells
"This was delicious! The only thing that would make it any better is some ground beef in the sauce! LOL. It was excellent, though. The sauce was so good with all the fresh vegetables. Very, very good. My whole family loved it."
"I'm afraid that we found this meal to be just average, but I did appreciate the home-made sauce with fresh peppers."