Italian Cheese Sesame Rolls
These rolls are my family's favorite. Everyone from our children to our great-grandchildren dig right in when I put these goodies on the table.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and warm milk; add to the crumb mixture. Stir in yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Spread with butter; sprinkle with garlic powder and cheese. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from a wide end and place point side down on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water. Brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 132 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.