Italian Cheese Loaves
This quick-and-easy yeast bread is a favorite of my daughter and my best friend. They could sit down and eat an entire loaf!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the shortening, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add the cheeses, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half; shape into two loaves.
- Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Do not let rise. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 123 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 13, 2011
I was a little leary of this - no rising time for a yeast bread - but it turned out great. Took to work and they finished it all before noon! I will definitely keep this handy and make it often!