Italian Cheese Loaves
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the shortening, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add the cheeses, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half; shape into two loaves.
- Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Do not let rise. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 123 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2011
I was a little leary of this - no rising time for a yeast bread - but it turned out great. Took to work and they finished it all before noon! I will definitely keep this handy and make it often!