- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Beat in water and oil until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down; place on a greased 12-in. pizza pan and pat into a 12-in. circle. Brush with salad dressing. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over top. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 pieces).
Reviews forItalian Cheese Bread
"Very Good. I use the dough as a pizza crust."
"OK.....very, very heavy bread....I was taught when making Italian bread to knead the dough for about 15 minutes..not 1 or 2 minutes. Also, when I let it rise for a half hour, then you have to knead it again for another 10 minutes and let it rise in a warm place. THEN, I baked it. Much less heavy, but still a nice bread...not real airy like the cheap breads in the stores. Thank you for the recipe. I just happen to like a bread that is not so "doughy". I also baked it on 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. My loaves, however, were rather large."
"I have been wanting to make this recipe for a couple of years. Tonight I did. It was easy and quick, but I did not like the taste. The thyme was a little overwhelming. I know I could switch the herbs to my liking but I was rating the recipe on the recipe as stated. And as stated, I wasn't thrilled, nor was my bread eating family. I will try again with different herbs and spices. Thanks again for the recipe!"
"An old favourite. We all love this for a snack."
"This has become my go to recipe for breadsticks. So fast and easy to make and my whole family loves them."
"Instead of the spices called for in the toppings, try 1/2 tsp. each of the following: onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, paprika, cumin, curry powder, plus 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes; sounds like a lot, but we like it. It makes it kind of spicy.Also, try adding the spices to the dry dough ingredients; it makes it more flavorful.Lastly, before adding the cheese try topping with sliced pepperoni or fully-cooked cubed turkey."
"This is one of our favorite recipes. We make it quite often although never quite according to the recipe. :)"