"My son, Tory, loves my lasagna, which I only make on Christmas," writes Bridgetta Ealy of Pontiac, Michigan. "As a surprise I created this burger, inspired by the lasagna he loves."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 green pepper rings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 slices smoked part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook peppers in oil over medium heat until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, topping each with a pepper ring and cheese slice during the last 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese and parsley; spread over bun bottoms. Top with spinach and burgers; replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 455 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as 3-Cheese Lasagne Burger in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009