From Roanoke, Virginia, Rachel Greenawalt Keller sends this lasagna-like casserole. "It makes a great side dish, but I like to serve it as a meatless entree with a green salad and bread," she suggests.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add broccoli and salt; cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, egg whites, Parmesan cheese, flour and Italian seasoning; cover and process until smooth.
- Place half of the broccoli in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Spoon spaghetti sauce over the top; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Broccoli Cheese Bake in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p63