Italian Broccoli Cheese Bake
From Roanoke, Virginia, Rachel Greenawalt Keller sends this lasagna-like casserole. "It makes a great side dish, but I like to serve it as a meatless entree with a green salad and bread," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1-in. of water, broccoli and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, egg whites, Parmesan cheese, flour and Italian seasoning; cover and process until blended.
- Place half of the broccoli in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Spoon spaghetti sauce over the top; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 977mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Italian Broccoli Cheese Bake in Light & Tasty August/September 2005