Italian Beef With Mushrooms
My husband, who is a mushroom lover, always smiles when I make this dish.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
- In a saucepan, saute mushrooms in butter for 3 minutes. Add green onions and garlic; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, water, wine or broth, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Stir in beef. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until meat is heated through. Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 227 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 327 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Italian Beef With Mushrooms in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook