Italian Beef Kabobs
Balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs combine in a marinade that gives great flavor to tender cubes of steak on shish kabobs. Along with the beef, I skewer mushrooms, zucchini and cherry tomatoes for an easy, well-balanced meal. —Joyce Triggs, Thibodaux, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Broil: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 32 small fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Pour 2/3 cup marinade into a large bowl; add the beef. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the beef, zucchini and mushrooms. Spoon over uncooked kabobs with reserved marinade; sprinkle with salt. Broil 4 in. from heat for 5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Place a tomato on each skewer before serving.